Wednesday, November 10, 2010

About The Avatar


Yes, I have chosen a very odd avatar. Thanksgiving traditions in our family are very different. We don't usually have the turkey dinner on Thursday. Thanksgiving was always when my dad would close up the shore, and my brother went to his wife's family, so my mom and I were usually left to our own devices and we would have our family turkey dinner on Sunday.

The first year, I remembered a line from a sitcom. I can't for the life of me remember which one, and couldn't then, but someone was talking about having a meatloaf for Thanksgiving. Molded into the shape of a turkey. Like that was the most pitiful thing ever. As a joke, I decided to do this. My mother thought it was fantastic, and I've done that every year since. Even though we no longer close the place at the shore. My mom still always begs for the drumstick.

Ten years ago, my mom had a heart attack and I inherited the Sunday family turkey dinner as well. Thanksgiving became my favorite holiday. When you love to cook, that's the ultimate. And I'd get to do two meals - the meatloaf and the actual turkey.

This year, I've been fired. My niece is allergic to cats and my sister-in-law decided that she can no longer come to my house or to my mother's. I'll still do the meatloaf for my mom on Thursday, but I'll always miss the turkey.